Last Updated on
Essentially, this mustard parmesan crispy chicken recipe is a chicken schnitzel, which is always delicious. But this version is even tastier, and only takes a little over 15 minutes to make!
Once upon a time, I ordered a humble chicken schnitzel lunch special at an Italian chain restaurant. It was simple – just a flattened chicken breast coated in crispy crumbs and pan fried – with a lovely fresh salad on the side.
With a cold glass of white it was lunch perfection!
This was quite a long while ago now (and not the most exciting story in the world!) but I’ve been wanting to make chicken schnitzel at home ever since. But you know how it is sometimes – I’ve just never got around to it.
Until about a week ago that is, when I came across half a box of panko breadcrumbs in the food cupboard I was clearing out before our big move. Then after fishing out a bit of leftover parmesan in the fridge it was a no brainer. Time to get out this mustard parmesan crispy chicken recipe!
I told you I’d be making something with odds and ends from my kitchen again this week!
My first attempt was a pretty basic parmesan chicken schnitzel, which was tasty, and lovely and crispy, but I couldn’t help thinking it could be even better.
So I made this meal again for Mr. Scrummy and I and my lovely friend Mel who agreed to let me test a new version of the recipe on her. Brave girl!
This time I smeared a mixture of mustard, dried mixed herbs, and garlic all over the chicken breasts before rolling them in panko breadcrumbs and pan frying. The chicken takes just 3 minutes on each side, which should give you just enough time to whip up a quick salad…. which virtually makes this a 15-minute meal! (16 minutes, to be exact)
There are two ingenius things about this idea. One: you end up with a tastier crispy chicken. Two: it’s easier to make, because you don’t need to bother coating the chicken in flour and egg before rolling in the breadcrumbs as I did the first time. The mustard works just as well as egg as something for the crumbs to stick to.
So what makes this mustard parmesan crispy chicken recipe so great?
I think this is one of those recipes that makes a tasty midweek meal for yourself, but is also worthy of serving to guests. It’s a classy meal with a salad on the side, and perhaps some fresh bread, but your guests would never know it was so quick and easy to make!
These are my favourite recipes!
If you give this mustard parmesan crispy chicken a try, please let me know if you found it as satisfying as I did to make (and of course to eat!). I love that you don’t have to bother dipping in flour and egg, and I love how tasty and crispy the coating is.
I even love pounding the chicken with a mallet so that it’s an even thickness before coating and cooking. Hmmm… I bet you can’t tell I’m a foodie.
P.S. If you like all ze crispy things, something tells me you might enjoy these crispy halloumi fries!
Mustard parmesan crispy chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons mustard mild e.g. Dijon, American
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs dried
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 0.5 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 0.25 cups parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons oil for cooking
- fresh salad, warm crusty bread and a glass of fruity white wine!
- In turn, place each piece of chicken between 2 sheets of cling wrap (plastic wrap) and flatten to an even thickness with a rolling pin or wooden mallet (about ½ inch thick is ideal).
- Sprinkle each side of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the mustard, herbs and garlic, then smear over both sides of the chicken with a brush or teaspoon.
- Mix the panko breadcrumbs with the parmesan, then scatter over a plate. Press the chicken into the mixture until both sides are fully covered.
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat, then pan fry the chicken for about 3 minutes on each side, or until crispy, golden and cooked through.
- Serve immediately* with a big salad and crusty bread.