Last Updated on
You barely need a recipe for this honey mustard chicken. It’s made with only 3 main ingredients, plus a handful of (optional) added extras.
‘No recipe’ chicken
This is one of those recipes that’s hardly even a recipe.
After making it for the first time – second time at the most – you’ve got the ingredients and amounts memorized. I don’t know about you, but I don’t really care for scrutinizing a recipe on a week night – I just want that food on the table as easily and as fast as I can!
You’re very likely to have the main ingredients already – chicken thighs, honey, and mustard.
I also add garlic cloves (unpeeled, so you squeeze out the roasted deliciousness into the dish when it’s on your plate!), rosemary sprigs and a bit of apple cider vinegar to the dish.
The apple cider vinegar is just to balance out the sweetness of the honey a bit. You could use lemon juice for this purpose if you prefer or.
But you can skip any or all of the additions if you don’t have them or want to keep things super simple.
I wouldn’t skip the herbs (add any you happen to have – rosemary, oregano, basil… ). Dried will work fine if you don’t have fresh.
How to make it
- Arrange the chicken in a baking dish. Tuck garlic cloves around it.
- Whisk together the simple honey mustard sauce ingredients.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
If you’ve never tried honey mustard chicken before, you won’t believe what a match made in heaven these ingredients are.
After just over half an hour’s oven time, you end up with tender, browned chicken drenched in an incredible tasting sauce. It’s one of those recipes that ends up seeming quite fancy. In fact, I even think I’d serve it to guests.
How to serve it
I serve my ‘no-recipe’ honey mustard chicken with creamy mashed potatoes and broccoli, but serve it with any carb and veggies of your choice. Rice works really well, as does tagliatelle or crusty bread.
More ‘no recipe’ recipes!
Our favourite easy baked chicken thighs (oven or air fryer)
2-minute olive oil toasts (the easiest side dish!)
Crispy halloumi fries (our go-to super easy appetizer)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON BY LEAVING A COMMENT AND RATING BELOW… AND DON’T FORGET TO SIGN UP TO RECEIVE ALL MY NEW RECIPES BY EMAIL!
‘No recipe’ baked honey mustard chicken
- 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 8 garlic cloves skin still on (optional)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 cup runny honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice optional
- a few sprigs of fresh herbs e.g. rosemary thyme, oregano (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 355F. Arrange the chicken thighs in a baking dish and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Tuck the garlic cloves (if using) in between the chicken thighs.
- Whisk the mustards, honey and vinegar / lemon juice (if using) together in a jug or bowl, then pour all over the chicken. Scatter the herb sprigs / dried herbs over the dish.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the chicken is golden and cooked through.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, pasta or bread, and a vegetable / vegetables of your choice.