Last Updated on
If you’re looking for a delicious potato side dish to impress guests with this holiday season, look no further. These creamy garlic parmesan potatoes are it. They’re quick and easy to prepare (see the video at the end of the post), but ‘oh so posh’!
A part of me wasn’t sure whether or not to recommend these potatoes to you or not. Because to be honest once you’ve made them for the first time, you’ll want to have them ALL THE TIME.
And I wasn’t sure I wanted to be responsible for that.
Just don’t say I didn’t warn you!
The problem is, these have got to be just about the tastiest potatoes you could ever make. And no wonder – potatoes, garlic, cream, and cheese. How could that combo of ingredients NOT taste sublime?
The other ‘problem’ (imagine air quotes) is that they are just so darn easy to make. Simmer sliced potatoes in a mixture of milk, cream, garlic and thyme, then pour into a baking dish and bake.
Finito. Heaven on a plate.
And as a big added bonus, these potatoes are just so classy. I’ve had them multiple times at restaurants, as a side dish, and they always seem posh. They go particularly well with a slow-cooked meat with a rich gravy, like lamb shanks. Or even just with a plain old roast chicken and gravy, which is what I served them with this past weekend.
Throw on a vegetable (sautéed green beans work well) and you’ve got yourself a perfect posh meal… and without too much effort at all.
I reckon these potatoes would go down a treat at your next Thanksgiving or Christmas table. Or for any special occasion, really. Even for your next ‘regular’ family Sunday lunch.
Just to prove to you how easy they are to make, I made you a little video. Hope you like it!
Creamy garlic parmesan potatoes (dauphinoise potatoes)
Ingredients (UK/Australia? Click button below for grams & ml)
- 2/3 cup double cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- a good grating of nutmeg optional
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme plus a bit more for sprinkling
- 1 pound potatoes thinly sliced (about 3mm thick)
- 1/2 a large onion or 1 smaller one, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 355F and butter a medium-sized baking dish.
- Place the cream, milk, garlic, nutmeg (if using) and thyme in a medium saucepan and heat to a simmer. Add the potato and onion slices, put a lid on the saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender. Give them a good stir after half the cooking time.
- Remove the thyme sprigs, then tip half of the potato mixture into the baking dish. Grind over plenty of salt and pepper and sprinkle over about a third of the cheese.
- Tip the rest of the potato mixture and cream/milk into the dish, smoothing out the top a little, then sprinkle over the rest of the cheese. Grind over a bit more pepper (if you like), then sprinkle over a little more fresh thyme.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden and bubbling.