We’ve been making this super easy and delicious midweek chicken and chorizo for a long time. It never disappoints. Just throw chicken, chorizo, garlic, cherry tomatoes and basil into a baking dish… and bake!
The perfect one pan baked chicken recipe
One pan baked chicken and chorizo with cherry tomatoes is on regular rotation at our house, whatever the season.
It took me a long time to post this recipe, because I’d always seen chicken & chorizo as Mr. Scrummy’s domain. He often asks if I’d like him to cook, cool and helpful husband that he is, and many times he serves this.
Which means one important thing, of course… it’s been perfected over many, many ‘makes’.
Just 5 (or 6) ingredients, but loads of flavour!
We really hope you come to love this simple recipe as much as we do, and make it time and time again.
Chorizo and chicken are a match made in heaven, so this is a lot more delicious than the sum of its parts, with only five main ingredients. And a 6th if you like!
This is all you need:
- chicken thighs
- cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil
- optional: balsamic vinegar
Quite simply, oodles of flavour oozes from the generous amounts of chorizo, garlic and basil dumped into the dish.
Really, nothing else is needed – just a pile of toasted, olive-oiled bread or creamy mashed potatoes to eat alongside it.
How do you make baked chicken and chorizo?
This is a true one pan meal with very little hands-on time necessary. Dinner’s a breeze when baked chicken and chorizo with cherry tomatoes is on the menu!
This is how you make it:
- Throw everything apart from the tomatoes into the baking dish – you don’t even peel the garlic cloves if you don’t want to.
- Pour the cherry tomatoes over the top.
- Drizzle over olive oil and the optional balsamic vinegar.
- Pop the dish into the oven for 50 minutes to an hour and let the magic happen. The massive amounts of cherry tomatoes will melt over the chorizo and chicken and other flavours, leaving you with a beautifully tasty sauce.
- Serve either with toasted Italian style bread drizzled with olive oil and scattered with salt, a big heap of mashed potatoes, or some other kind of potato side dish (plenty to choose from here!). Yum!
HOW many tomatoes?!
You might be a bit shocked by how many cherry tomatoes you’re tipping over your chicken and chirizo, but don’t worry, you haven’t weighed them out wrongly. They’ll bake down to just the right amount.
But you can use any kind of tomatoes in this dish. If bigger tomatoes happen to be on sale where you live, just chop them into smaller chunks and toss them in instead of cherry tomatoes.
The only ‘rule’ is that you need A LOT. So it’s a great recipe to make when tomatoes of any kind are either on sale or in season.
This cast iron pot is perfect for this meal (affiliate link):
If you like this meal, you’ll also love this Mediterranean stove top chicken casserole and this amazing pan-fried gnocchi with cherry tomato sauce (for a veggie option!).
More easy one pan chicken dinners
- honey balsamic chicken with mushrooms and brussels sprouts (delicious AND healthy!)
- amazing sheet pan chicken tikka
- the simplest stove top chicken and rice (30-minute meal!)
- one pan maple, orange and pecan chicken
Or click here to search my one-pot meal archives: this is my favourite kind of meal, so there are too many to list them all here!
Entertaining? Or special dinner for the family? Why not choose from one of these 11 really easy dessert recipes (6 ingredients or less) to round off the meal nicely!
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GOT ON BY LEAVING A COMMENT AND RATING BELOW!
One-pan baked chicken and chorizo with cherry tomatoes
Ingredients (UK/Australia? Click below for grams/ml)
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 bulb garlic split into cloves but unpeeled
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces chorizo (I used one ‘ring’ torn into smallish chunks)
- 1 bunch basil chopped or torn
- 2.75 pounds tomatoes I use cherry tomatoes for ease, but any small tomatoes or chopped larger ones will work
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar optional
- toasted bread with olive oil and salt or mashed potatoes to serve (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 355F.
- Place the chicken thighs in a large baking dish. Scatter the garlic cloves in between/over them, then grind over a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Scatter the chorizo pieces over the chicken, followed by the basil and then the tomatoes.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and balsamic vinegar (if using), then bake for 50 minutes to an hour until the tomatoes are slightly charred and the chicken is cooked through and slightly browned where it pokes through the sauce. Toss and stir once half way through cooking.
- Serve in dishes with toasted bread or with a potato side dish.