If you’re looking for a salad made with simple fresh ingredients with a little bit of a twist, combine ribbons of salad vegetables with nutritious quinoa and delicious, naughty tasting crispy chickpeas. Delicious!
I mentioned in my last post about feeling smug that I’d ‘discovered’ delicious crispy fried chickpeas – all crispy and naughty tasting, but actually quite healthy because… chickpeas!
So I suppose this is another smug post, for two reasons. One – you get yet another recipe with delicious things in it that are actually quite healthy (hello feta cheese, Greek yogurt dressing and yet more crispy chickpeas).
And two – you already got a sneaky peek at this salad in my last post. Did you see what I did there? (#sneaky2postsfromonerecipe)
I figured this would be a great recipe wherever you are in the world. If it’s Autumn where you are then it might still be nice enough weather for a delicious salad but with a touch of crispy, crunchy warmth aka crispy fried chickpeas.
If it’s spring, like here in Perth Australia, then it’s time to start breaking out the salads, obviously!
I also mentioned in my last post that this salad was inspired by one I opportunistically grabbed at a café recently while little Benjamin was asleep.
On the surface it’s very simple – just a handful of fresh, everyday ingredients. But dig a little deeper and it’s full of texture and pizzazz! Combine thin ribbons of carrot and cucumber with grainy quinoa, halved sweet cherry tomatoes, thin slices of onion, salty, tangy crumbled feta cheese and a few handfuls of fresh green leaves.
Drizzle with a Greek yogurt and mustard based dressing and top with those delicious crispy fried chickpeas and you’re done. Eat by itself or as a side. Delicious.
I recommend doing what I did and picking out all the chickpeas while they’re still hot and crispy. I won’t tell anyone. 🙂
- 1 to 2 carrots, peeled and shred into thin ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- ½ cucumber, also shred into thin ribbons
- 3 to 4 thin slices onion, halved
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- a few handfuls of fresh salad leaves
- 250 gram / 9 ounce packet ready made quinoa*, prepared according to packet instructions
- 100 grams / 3.5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 recipe of crispy fried chickpeas (add at the last minute)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- ¼ teaspoons each salt and pepper
- juice of ½ a lemon
- Toss all of the salad ingredients (apart from the chickpeas) together in a large salad bowl or on a platter.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together either by hand or in a food processor, and drizzle over the salad to taste.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the crispy fried chickpeas over the top.
*I used red quinoa, but any type is fine.