Healthier food doesn’t need to mean boring. This healthy broccoli salad with bacon and apple is delicious, with a perfect balance of flavors!
If it happens to be just after the holidays, or for whatever reason you’re wanting to get back to healthier, lighter meal choices, I figure a great place to start is with something like this tasty broccoli salad with bacon and apple.
It’s not saintly (erm, bacon and cheese, anyone?), but it’s certainly got plenty of goodness in it.
And it’s all bound together mostly with yogurt, not mayo! (insert halo emoji here)
What do you put in a broccoli salad?
There are many different ways to make a broccoli salad, but if you’re the kind of person who likes an explosion of different flavours and textures in your mouth all at one time, then this broccoli salad with bacon and apple is the broccoli salad for you.
- … crunchy little raw florets of broccoli
- fresh, juicy apple
- sharp cheddar cheese
- super flavoursome bits of bacon
- salty peanuts
- the subtle zing of a little raw onion, if you like
- all bound together in a creamy (but on the light side) dressing made of Greek yoghurt, a little mayonnaise, mustard and honey.
How should I serve this broccoli salad?
I usually serve this healthy broccoli salad by itself, with a little piece of toasted bread. It’s very satisfying indeed this way, but I think it would be great as a side with roast chicken, quiche, or fish, too.
Or as a buffet option with lots of other things! Which brings me onto my next point…
Can I make a broccoli salad ahead?
This could also be a great make-ahead take-along buffet dish. If you soak the apple in lemon juice before adding it to the salad, the apple doesn’t go brown and you can quite happily keep it in the fridge for a day or so.
If you do make this salad ahead, though, it’s best to add the peanuts at the last minute because they don’t hold onto their crunchiness for too long.
What dressing do you put on a broccoli salad?
Again, you could go for many different options, but I like to combine Greek yoghurt with mayonnaise to make my dressing. This way you keep a bit of that delicious saltiness and richness that mayonnaise adds to dressings, but you keep it on the lighter side by replacing some of the mayo with Greek yogurt.
The perfect compromise!
Add a bit of mustard and honey, and it’s just about perfect!
And if you like the idea of this broccoli salad with bacon, why not try this other warm salad of mine that combines bacon and fruit?:
More quick and easy party food
- Greek filo parcels with tzatziki
- crispy mushroom filo triangles
- supermarket copycat pesto and cheese twists
- 10-minute fresh tomato salsa
- mini feta cheese triangles
- The very best zucchini slice (cut into squares… mmm, delicious!)
Or see all my easy party food here
An even healthier broccoli, apple and bacon salad
Ingredients (UK/Australia? Click below for grams/ml)
For the salad
- 5 – 6 slices of bacon sliced into small pieces
- a little oil of your choice for cooking the bacon
- 1 broccoli (1 small to medium head), thoroughly washed
- 2 apples (small)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 onion onion small, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 large handful of salted peanuts
- freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Fry the bacon in the oil until starting to crisp, then set aside (8 – 10 minutes).
- Discard the ‘woody’ end part of the broccoli stalk, then chop the rest of the stalk finely. Then separate the broccoli heads into really small florets. Put the florets and chopped stalk into a large bowl.
- Slice the apple (no need to peel) into small pieces and put them into a small bowl. Squeeze the juice of the lemon all over the apple, then add the apple and any extra juice to the large bowl with the broccoli.
- Now add the onion, cheese and peanuts.
- Stir all of the dressing ingredients together well in a medium-sized bowl, then add to the salad. Add black pepper to taste. Mix really well.