Last Updated on
This healthy peanut butter mug cake is the perfect solution to those pesky after dinner sweet cravings. It’s vegan, gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, and egg free. The best part? It’s hassle free, taking just 2 minutes to make!
My go-to ‘emergency’ healthy dessert!
Please tell me I’m not the only one who needs ‘emergency’ desserts sometimes?
Usually the ‘need’ strikes on random evenings when the day’s jobs are done and I finally get to sit down and chill.
I have my cup of tea and Netflix controller in hand, but there’s something missing…
I need something sweet, and I need it now!
That’s where this wonderful invention called a mug cake comes in.
Like many of us these days I try not to eat too much sugar. So one day I literally threw some peanut butter into a mug with a little coconut flour, date syrup and almond milk and microwaved it. The result was a gooey peanut buttery dessert for one that I’ve since stank out the kitchen (!) with on more occasions than I’d like to admit!
But it’s been worth all the moaning from Mr. Scrummy – who thinks it’s a disgusting idea! This healthy peanut butter mug cake recipe has come to my rescue time after time.
I sincerely hope it becomes one of your go-to ‘emergency’ desserts too, oh fellow peanut butter lovers.
Ingredients for this healthy mug cake:
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter (I like to use natural and organic)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup OR date syrup OR honey (my favourite is date syrup!)
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk (I use almond)
- a sprinkle of 70% cocoa or higher chocolate chips
Yep, just 5 ingredients, and that’s including the chocolate chips which strictly speaking you could leave out. Although I don’t recommend it!
And not only does this healthy peanut butter mug contain NO REFINED SUGAR, it’s also accidentally GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, EGG FREE, AND VEGAN!
How to make a healthy mug cake (peanut butter flavour!)
Grab your favourite mug and add a tablespoon of coconut flour, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, a tablespoon of your favourite healthy sweetener (date syrup, maple syrup, honey…), and 2 tablespoons of almond milk (or other non dairy milk). (photos 1-4)
Give it all a really good stir (make sure you mix in all the sneaky bits of coconut flour at the bottom). (photo 5)
Press a few chocolate chips (or small pieces of chocolate from a bar) into the top. (photo 6)
Microwave for 1 minute. Your cake won’t look like it’s changed or risen very much, but don’t worry – plunge in your spoon and you’ll soon see that it’s cakey, gooey, and totally yummy! (photos 7-8)
Either eat just by itself, or – my favourite – plop a scoop of ice cream, or healthy nice cream (instructions below!) on top!
- You can take this healthy dessert to next-level delicious by throwing a scoop of ice cream on top. But you thought this was supposed to be a healthy dessert, right? No worries, freeze a chopped banana, throw it in a food processor with a tablespoon of cacao/cocoa and a tablespoon of nut butter, and make some healthy ‘nice cream’! (full recipe for nice cream here)
- Try substituting the coconut flour with cacao – or a half-and-half coconut flour and cacao mix. This gives you a deliciously gooey, splodgy chocolate mug cake. Don’t skip adding a scoop of ice cream (nice cream!) on top of this one!
- If you don’t mind de-healthifying (did I just make up a new word?) your mug cake a bit, you can make it with ordinary plain flour and a tablespoon of brown sugar. It’s still a fairly innocent dessert!
More healthier desserts
- 30-minute healthy chocolate cake
- 5-minute chocolate banana ice cream (nice cream!)
- Greek yoghurt blueberry muffins (low sugar recipe)
- Greek yoghurt chocolate chip muffins (low sugar recipe)
- 5-ingredient raw chocolate orange truffles
- Rhubarb and ginger oaty slices
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON BY LEAVING A COMMENT AND RATING BELOW… AND DON’T FORGET TO SIGN UP TO RECEIVE ALL MY NEW RECIPES BY EMAIL!
2-minute peanut butter healthy mug cake
Ingredients (UK/Australia? Click button below for grams & ml)
- Put all the ingredients apart from the chocolate chips in a small mug and mix really well with a spoon.
- Press the chocolate into the top of the mixture. Microwave for 1 minute.
- Enjoy immediately either by itself or with a small scoop of ice cream/nice cream on top!