Who doesn’t love chocolate truffles? And that chocolate-orange combo… mmm! These raw chocolate truffles are made with just 5 super healthy ingredients, but you’ll think you’re eating a gooey brownie!
What do you do when you somehow find you’ve stashed lots of unhealthy snacks in your maternity hospital bag? Make a ‘token’ healthy snack to throw in there too!
When the moment arrives, I’ll still most probably be stuffing myself mostly with Pringles and chocolate (just being honest here).
But given the 5 super healthy ingredients in these raw chocolate truffles – raw cashews, orange zest and juice, dates, sultanas, and raw cacao – you’ll be amazed how much like a naughty treat they taste. Sort of like a gooey, fudgy brownie – honestly!
And yet they are good, really good (we’re talking almost too good) for you. Not a speck of refined sugar in sight. They also happen to be gluten free and vegan chocolate truffles, if either of these things are important for you.
If you’ve been hanging around here for a while, you may recall seeing an old post of mine for 5-ingredient chocolate orange bars. Which yes, use virtually the same recipe as these smaller truffles.
This recipe is fabulous in bar form, too, but I loved the idea of tricking myself into thinking I’m eating chocolate truffles.
Keep them in the freezer!
And yes, I did say in the freezer. I LOVE these straight from the freezer. I’m not exactly sure why – they don’t really freeze, they just go a bit harder and colder and taste really good to me that way.You’ll just have to try it for yourself to see if you like them that way too or if you prefer to keep them softer and more chocolate truffle-like.
I don’t think I’ll be giving up real chocolate any time soon, but it’s all about the balance, isn’t it?
Baby on the way or not, you need to get some of these stashed away in your freezer for chocolate craving emergencies!
Here’s a little video to show you exactly how to make these raw chocolate orange truffles:
5-ingredient raw chocolate orange truffles
Ingredients (UK/Australia? Click below for grams/ml)
- 1 orange juiced and zested
- 1 1/2 cups dates (pitted)
- 1 1/4 cups cashews (raw)
- 1/2 cup raisins (or sultanas, I used raisins)
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder (raw)
- Put the dates in a small bowl and pour half of the orange juice over them. Put aside for a moment.
- Put the cashews and the rest of the orange juice in your food processor and process until they are all mashed up and clump together in a ball (this took quite a while – at least 2 or 3 minutes).
- Tip the cashew and orange mixture into a bowl. Then tip the dates/orange juice and sultanas into the food processor and process until they too are all mashed up and form a sticky ball (this probably won’t take as long as the cashews).
- Add the mashed up dates/sultanas to the cashew/orange mixture in the bowl, then add the cacao and orange zest and mash everything together well until it resembles a thick chocolate cake batter.
- Take teaspoons of mixture and roll into truffles. Finally, roll in raw cacao powder.