Throw chicken and a few Asian flavours into your slow cooker, turn it on, and go about your day. When you get back home, sprinkle bowls of chicken with scallions and sesame seeds… and you’ve got a Korean style dinner that looks like you spent hours making it!
Aren’t slow cookers just the business? Even if you prepare and chop the ingredients in the morning, it still feels like the meal cooked itself when you open the door that night and smell the loveliness pervading your home.
So why don’t I use my slow cooker more? I use it for this yummy Olive Garden copycat crockpot chicken gnocchi soup and that’s about it some years.
What’s so great about slow cooker Korean chicken?
Mostly I don’t feel like I have many slow cooker recipes up my sleeve, so when I first spotted this on the Korean recipe blog My Korean Kitchen I decided to give it a go.
And… Korean! That’s something I haven’t tried before in any shape or form.
- Apart from the lovely sounding Asian flavours, what attracted me to this recipe is the fact that you dump everything in the slow cooker, switch it on and leave it. So… dump and go!
- No pre-cooking of anything required.
- It’s packed full of vegetables. I actually added in more vegetables for a really balanced and nutritious meal.
- Add chilies for a bit of spicy pizzazz, or skip them. Up to you!
- The flavours are quite subtle, because they’ve been mixing with the chicken juices all day.
Ingredients in slow cooker Korean chicken
- lots of veggies! Potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms
- garlic and ginger
- chicken thighs
- optional chilies!
- plus the simple sauce: soy sauce, brown sugar (or honey), oyster sauce, rice wine, pepper
- to finish (makes all the difference): sesame oil, chopped spring onions/scallions, sesame seeds
What does the sauce taste like?
I think the sauce is very much like a mildly flavoured homemade teriyaki sauce. The ingredients are similar – soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, rice wine, and brown sugar.
How to serve slow cooker Korean chicken
I like to keep things simple and serve this delicious Korean chicken with some plain rice.
Pro tip: Stir through some sesame oil at the last minute. It makes a huge difference to the taste of the dish. Then sprinkle over some spring onions and sesame seeds to serve. Delicious!
Then suddenly this isn’t just another average brown casserole cooked in the slow cooker.
If you try making this recipe in your Instant Pot, please let me know! (affiliate link):
Good quality meat!
Lately, I prefer to buy less meat, but of better quality. I often buy it at a farmer’s market, which has great quality local meat. But what if you don’t have a good farmer’s market, or you don’t have time to go?
If you’re in the UK, you might like to check out the award-winning Riverford [affiliate link]. They have a wide selection of free range and organic meat, or you can order great value veggie, salad, dairy, and recipe boxes, and much more.
More easy slow cooked meals
- easy crockpot chicken gnocchi soup (Olive Garden copycat – slow cooker or pressure cooker!)
- perfect Thai chicken and butternut squash curry (stove top, slow cooker or pressure cooker!)
- easy slow cooked Greek lamb with lemon garlic potatoes (oven or slow cooker!)
- Thai pumpkin and red lentil soup (vegetarian and delicious!)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON BY LEAVING A COMMENT AND RATING BELOW… AND DON’T FORGET TO SIGN UP TO RECEIVE ALL MY NEW RECIPES BY EMAIL!
Slow cooker Korean chicken
Equipment (affiliate links)
Ingredients (UK/Australia? Click below for grams/ml)
for the chicken
- 2 potatoes peeled and cubed (roughly an inch square)
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 onion (large), chopped
- 2 pounds chicken thighs chopped into large pieces
- 6 mushrooms quartered
- 5 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 piece fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 2 chilies dried & whole (purely optional)
for the sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 5 spring onions (US scallions)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted
- rice or noodles*
- 2 tablespoons cornflour mixed with a little water from the tap
- Place the chicken, vegetables, garlic, ginger, and chilies (if using) into the slow cooker.
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients and pour over the ingredients in the pot.
- Cook for 6 hours (low) or 4 hours (high). About half an hour before the end of the cooking time, slowly stir in the cornflour and water to thicken the sauce.
- Just before serving, stir in the sesame oil.
- Sprinkle a chopped spring onion / scallion or two and some toasted sesame seedsh over every serving of chicken.