Slow cooker Korean chicken
Just chop up a few vegetables and throw in your slow cooker with some chicken thighs and simple Asian flavours for a delicious Korean chicken dinner.
for the chicken
- 2 potatoes peeled and cubed (roughly an inch square)
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 onion (large), chopped
- 2 pounds chicken thighs chopped into large pieces
- 6 mushrooms quartered
- 5 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 piece fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 2 chilies dried & whole (purely optional)
for the sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar or replace 2 with honey
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine or mirin
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 5 spring onions (US scallions)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted
- rice or noodles*
- 2 tablespoons cornflour mixed with a little water from the tap
Place the chicken, vegetables, garlic, ginger, and chilies (if using) into the slow cooker.
Combine all of the sauce ingredients and pour over the ingredients in the pot.
Cook for 6 hours (low) or 4 hours (high). About half an hour before the end of the cooking time, slowly stir in the cornflour and water to thicken the sauce.
Just before serving, stir in the sesame oil.
Sprinkle a chopped spring onion / scallion or two and some toasted sesame seedsh over every serving of chicken.
Recipe based on this one on My Korean Kitchen.
Toasting the sesame seeds
I bought my toasted sesame seeds at an Asian supermarket, but if you can’t find any it’s easy to toast your own in a dry frying pan. It just adds an extra step to the recipe of course, so definitely ready toasted are better!
How to serve this meal
I usually serve this delicious Korean chicken with rice. I allow ½ cup per person. Like most people, I’m usually guilty of making too much rice – although you can always make fried rice with the leftovers!
Cornflour/cornstarch or flour?
I didn’t have any cornflour to thicken the sauce the first time I made this, so I used ordinary flour instead. Worked just fine!
scallions = spring onions!
Calories: 742kcalCarbohydrates: 43gProtein: 45gFat: 42gSaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 222mgSodium: 1544mgPotassium: 1342mgFiber: 5gSugar: 16gVitamin A: 5635IUVitamin C: 53mgCalcium: 143mgIron: 6.9mg