Last Updated on
If you’re a fan of pasta bakes, how about trying a gnocchi bake instead? This one is a little bit of everything – oozy, cheesy and comforting, but also healthy, tasty and easy to make.
This sausage, butternut squash & kale gnocchi bake is tasty comfort food at its best!
What’s so great about it?
- Anything that’s called a ‘bake’ shouts cheesy, oozy deliciousness to me, and this one doesn’t disappoint.
- It has relatively few ingredients in it.
- The flavours are fantastic. Sausage meat always makes for a great hit of taste. The rich tomato sauce contains fennel seeds, garlic, fresh basil and a little splash of balsamic vinegar to add a bit more oomph.
- The kale and roasted butternut squash makes you feel all smug about eating super healthy and tasty veggies.
How do you make it?
This is a great wholesome and healthy midweek meal. Make it in just a few simple steps:
Prepare the vegetables and gnocchi. So roast the butternut squash, and boil the kale and gnocchi.
Make the sausage tomato sauce on the stove top. Use yummy herbs like thyme, fennel seeds and basil. Don’t be afraid of the fennel – it goes really well with sausage.
Stir the vegetables and gnocchi through the sauce, then tip into a baking dish. Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan over the top and BAKE.
How to eat a gnocchi bake!
Now this aint rocket science! After you’ve prepared everything and tossed the sauce through the gnocchi, this is a one pan meal.
You don’t need to prepare any side dishes. Just spoon into dishes and enjoy!
More gnocchi recipes
- If you’re loving the gnocchi vibe in this post, you’ll also LOVE this amazing pan-fried gnocchi with cherry tomatoes recipe.
- If you’re loving the gnocchi AND sausage vibe and you’re a fan of 30-minute meals, try this easy baked gnocchi with sausage, peppers and tomatoes (including a fabulous recipe for homemade ricotta gnocchi)
- Ever tried gnocchi soup? This crockpot chicken gnocchi soup is legendary (oh and an Olive Garden copycat recipe)
More easy comfort food
- 30 minute Greek macaroni cheese
- creamy lemon chicken orzo soup (a bit like this gnocchi soup, but it’s a stove top recipe ready in just 30 minutes!)
- samosa pie (Like samosas? You’ll love samosa pie!)
- Swedish meatballs!
- pasta alla norma (delicious eggplant and tomato pasta)
- Or check out all of Scrummy Lane’s easy meal ideas!
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON BY LEAVING A COMMENT AND RATING BELOW… AND DON’T FORGET TO SIGN UP TO RECEIVE ALL MY NEW RECIPES BY EMAIL!
Sausage, butternut squash & kale gnocchi bake
- about half a butternut squash chopped into smallish pieces
- 3.5 ounces kale washed & chopped into small pieces (remove any tough stems)
- one package of potato gnocchi mine was about 17 ounces – 500 grams
- olive oil for frying
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves crushed or finely sliced
- 4 good quality pork sausages
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 14 ounces passata
- a large handful of fresh basil leaves chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 ball of mozzarella
- a handful of grated parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C. Toss the butternut squash with a little olive oil, salt and pepper on a baking tray, cover with foil and roast for 30 minutes. Then take off the foil and roast for another 10 minutes. Put aside.
- Boil the kale for about 5 minutes, then tip in the gnocchi as well and cook for a couple of minutes longer. Drain and set aside.
- Heat up a good drizzle of olive oil in a skillet/frying pan, then fry the onion for a couple of minutes. Add the garlic to the pan, then run a knife down the side of the sausages so that you can squeeze the meat out into the pan. Cook, breaking up the sausage meat into small bits as you go, for 7 or 8 minutes, then add the thyme, fennel seeds & passata and cook for a further few minutes. Finally, stir in the basil.
- Add the squash, kale and gnocchi to the sausage and tomato mixture, then give it all a good stir before tipping it into a medium-sized baking dish. Tear the mozzarella ball into pieces over the top, sprinkle the parmesan over and bake for about 20 minutes until bubbling.