I’m sure you’ve discovered the magic of crispy roasted brussels sprouts. But I bet you haven’t had them this way. Roast, then toss in a honey balsamic dressing with sweet caramelized onions, crunchy pine nuts and tangy feta cheese. It’s the most amazing warm brussels sprouts salad!
Brussels sprouts don’t get such a bad rap these days, do they?
Finally, we’ve discovered how to make them extra delicious. Roast them to a crisp. Add bacon, or garlic, or parmesan, or all three. Make yummy crispy brussels sprouts with tahini sauce and almonds.
The options are endless. You have to be a very hard line brussels hater to NOT like some of the amazing brussels sprouts recipes out there now.
Why you need this honey balsamic brussels sprouts recipe in your life
Reason 1: The sweetness of the caramelized onions and honey and tanginess of the balsamic vinegar and feta contrast perfectly with the crispy roasted brussel sprouts.
Reason 2: It’s perfect for every season. Serve with your Christmas lunch, at a summer BBQ, or as a side dish for a midweek dinner. It works.
Reason 3: I guess you could say it’s a Mediterranean style recipe. Say no more. You need no other reason to give them a try. 😉
What ingredients you need
Apart from brussels sprouts, you need:
a big onion and a bit of olive oil: You’re going to slice the onion and caramelize them while the brussels sprouts are roasting.
salt and pepper: for sprinkling over the brussels before roasting
a light honey balsamic dressing to toss through the salad: All you need is oil, balsamic vinegar, and honey.
a few toasted pine nuts and a bit of feta cheese: to sprinkle generously over the salad at the end.
How to make this amazing warm salad
This is a quick and simple recipe, as nearly always around here.
There are 4 main steps:
Step 1: Toss brussels in a bit of oil and roast for around 20 to 25 minutes. The key is to catch them when there are plenty of crispy bits, but they aren’t burnt.
Step 2: While the brussels are doing their thing in the oven, caramelize a big sliced onion. Just cook on a moderate heat on the stove top for around 15 to 20 minutes. Stir every now and again.
Step 3: Whisk together a small amount of a very simple dressing. All you need is equal amounts of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a bit of honey. Toss it through the hot brussels sprouts as soon as they come out of the oven.
Step 4: Empty the charred brussels sprouts into a serving dish and sprinkle very generously with toasted pine nuts and crumbled feta cheese.
Serve immediately while still warm, crispy, sticky and delicious!
How to serve them
One of the things I love about these honey balsamic brussels sprouts is how versatile they are.
Option 1: Make them into a simple but delicious midweek family meal by serving them with something simple like chicken, steak or salmon.
Option 2: Serve them with a roast dinner – even for Thanksgiving or Christmas – for something a little bit different.
Option 3: Serve as a warm brussels sprouts salad at a BBQ, buffet, or other occasion. What with? Literally anything you like.
Option 4: Eat by themselves for lunch with some simple toasted bread with olive oil and salt. You’ll be amazed how moreish they are!
It’s best to serve these as soon as you can after they come out of the oven so that they’re still hot and crispy.
Can you roast brussels sprouts in your air fryer?
Yes! What’s the point? They’ll take a little less time to cook in an air fryer, and they may even end up a bit crispier!
For air fryer roasted brussels sprouts, air fry at 205C or 400F for around 12 to 14 minutes. Just make sure you only have one layer of sprouts – otherwise they won’t be very crispy.
I’d recommend cooking for 7 minutes to begin with, then tossing and cooking again for another 5 to 7 minutes. You may need to cook for a little longer if your brussels sprouts are larger. Just keep a close eye on them and see how you go.
A yummy variation
It occurred to me that you could easily make a similar dish with roasted broccoli. Or with roasted brussels sprouts and broccoli mixed together.
The cooking time and temperature is the same. Just keep a close eye on the broccoli towards the end of the cooking time as it can burn easily too.
More ways to make delicious recipes with brussels sprouts
- Another roasted brussels sprouts recipe for you! These brussels sprouts with tahini sauce and almonds are off-the-charts delicious, not to mention super healthy.
- Fan of sheet pan dinners? Don’t miss this honey balsamic chicken with mushrooms and brussels sprouts.
- Christmas macaroni, anyone? Big shout out for this crowd pleasing leftover turkey, bacon and brussels sprouts macaroni cheese.
- This might not sound too thrilling, but give this brussels sprouts Greek yogurt coleslaw a try all the same. It’s healthy and tasty!
- Another great recipe for the leftovers. This time it’s a creamy turkey, bacon and brussels sprouts linguine.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON BY LEAVING A COMMENT AND RATING BELOW… AND DON’T FORGET TO SIGN UP TO RECEIVE ALL MY NEW RECIPES BY EMAIL!
Honey balsamic brussels sprouts with caramelized onions, pine nuts and feta
Equipment (affiliate links)
Ingredients (UK/Australia? Click below for grams/ml)
For the brussels sprouts
For the toppings
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts toasted (If not already toasted, toast in a dry pan for several minutes until golden brown. Shake the pan every now and again)
- 1½ ounces feta cheese crumbled
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/430F. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Empty the washed and cut brussels sprouts onto the baking tray and drizzle over the olive oil. Include any leaves that have fallen off. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Toss with a big spoon or your hands. Then roast the brussels sprouts for around 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy in parts (but not burnt).
- Meanwhile, caramelize the onions by cooking them in the olive oil/butter in a frying pan on a medium heat. Let cook for around 15 to 20 minutes or until sticky and reduced. Stir from time to time with a wooden spoon to stop them sticking to the pan.
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- When the brussels sprouts are cooked, immediately toss the dressing through them. Empty them into a serving bowl and sprinkle over the pine nuts and feta. Serve immediately.