All the satisfaction of crispy fried chicken, but without all the grease. I’ve got plenty of tips to make sure this quick and easy cheese and ham stuffed chicken is so good that you’ll make it time and time again!
I find crispy chicken very delicious – don’t we all – and have several other crispy chicken recipes on the blog, such as this amazing chicken katsu curry, and this incredibly easy and tasty crispy mustard parmesan chicken.
But I do love a good stuffed bit of chicken too, so I can have that wonderfully satisfying experience of cutting into it and seeing whatever I’ve stuffed inside it ooze out. Which in this case is just a very simple mixture of ham and cheese.
What’s so great about this?
- What Mr. Scrummy says he likes about this is the lovely moistness of the chicken, and the really crispy coating.
- I agree with the above, but I also love how the cheese mixes with the mustard and honey to make a gooey, tasty sauce.
Tips for perfect crispy baked cheese and ham stuffed chicken
- Use really big chicken breasts so that it’s easier to cut the little pocket into it and you’ll have enough space for your cheese and ham to get stuffed into.
- Try to find good quality thin(ish) sliced ham. Not that awful watery wafer thin stuff you often see.
- Mozzarella works well for extra ooze factor, but I prefer to use a mixture of mozzarella for ooze and sharp cheddar for taste (to be honest though pretty much any grated cheese is fine).
- Now for the fun part. Wrap the cheese up in the ham – a bit like a tortilla – so that it doesn’t all ooze out during cooking. This also makes it easier to stuff into the chicken.
- Spread a teaspoon of Dijon mustard and a teaspoon of honey on the ham before sprinkling on the cheese.
- If you have time, refrigerate the stuffed chicken for a short while (around half an hour). Just helps keep everything together while you’re covering the chicken in crumbs.
- Japanese panko breadcrumbs work really well, for extra ease and crisp. Don’t worry if you can’t find any, though – ordinary white or brown breadcrumbs are fine.
- Bake the chicken on a wire rack so that you don’t end up with a soggy bottom! 😉
- Serve with a nice green salad with a simple dressing, and some really good bread. Delicious!
This is what the chicken will look like before you bake it. Place it on a wire rack over baking paper to make sure you don’t get a soggy bottom!
We both commented on how crispy and juicy this baked cheese and ham stuffed chicken is. The combination of the juicy things you put inside the chicken and the crispy ‘coat’ you put around it is what helps it to stay so moist.
If you’re like me, you see ‘stuffed’ in a recipe and think that it must be hard to make. But really, it isn’t at all. Give it a try!
Like the stuffed chicken vibe in this post? Check out this feta and sundried tomato stuffed chicken with lemon butter gravy too. It’s ridiculously delicious!
More simple chicken dinners
- This Creamy lemon chicken orzo soup is legendary!
- These are our favourite easy baked chicken thighs. Delicious, and ridiculously easy.
- This creamy pesto chicken only takes 15 minutes to make!
- The simplest stovetop chicken and rice imaginable – with a secret ingredient. You have to try it.
- OR check out all my easy midweek meals!
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON BY LEAVING A COMMENT AND RATING BELOW… AND DON’T FORGET TO SIGN UP TO RECEIVE ALL MY NEW RECIPES BY EMAIL!
Watch how to make it
Crispy baked cheese and ham stuffed chicken (with a video)
Ingredients (UK/Australia? Click below for grams/ml)
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 thin slices good quality ham
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- 1/2 cup grated cheese I used mozzarella and mature cheddar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs I used Japanese Panko
- salt and pepper
To serve (suggestion)
- simple green salad leaves with a light dressing
- nice fresh bread
- Use a sharp knife to cut a ‘pocket’ into the side of the chicken.*
- Lay a slice of ham out (with the short side towards you), then spread with a teaspoon of mustard and a teaspoon of honey. Pile half of the cheese in the middle (towards the end closest to you) and then roll up like a tortilla, tucking the sides in as you go.
- Repeat with the second piece of ham, then tuck one of the ham and cheese rolls into each chicken pocket. Press the chicken back down over the stuffing, then refrigerate for a while (at least half an hour).
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 190C / 375F. Set out a plate with the flour on, a bowl with the egg in, and another plate with the breadcrumbs on. First grind plenty of salt and pepper over the chicken, then roll it in the flour, the egg, and the breadcrumbs in turn.
- Place the chicken on a wire rack over a baking tray, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked through. Serve immediately.