This is the easiest baking to do with your kids. Or the simplest last minute chocolate gift to give to your friends or a dinner party host. You can make these chocolate dipped Oreos in just minutes… and make them look good!
Many times, the best ideas are the simplest ones – especially when it comes to cooking and baking.
I love these chocolate covered Oreos for all the reasons below. And, well, because chocolate.
They take literally minutes to make.
You can make so many different variations, only limited by your imagination!
They make a perfect baking activity to do with kids of any age. Younger kids can help you decorate, older kids can make them all by themselves.
You can easily adapt them for the occasion (see below!).
How to adapt them for any occasion
EASTER COMING UP? Pop mini chocolate eggs on top like I did with the ones in my photos.
CHRISTMAS Scatter green and red M&Ms on top.
BABY SHOWER Add a few drops of baby pink and/or blue food colouring to white chocolate, then decorate with pretty sprinkles.
ST. PATRICK’S DAY Add green food colouring to white chocolate. Put Irish themed decorations on top (lucky four leaved clovers?).
BIRTHDAY PARTIES Think about the person whose birthday it is and decorate accordingly. Do a quick search online and you’ll find loads of ideas for children. You can make ladybirds/ladybugs, polar bears, frogs, owls, sheep and more.
MOTHER’S OR FATHER’S DAY Add flower baking decorations, moustaches or sport’s decorations – or something else that you think your parents would like. Type ‘baking decorations’ into Amazon and you’ll find so many ideas there.
So easy to make
For me the best thing about these chocolate-dipped Oreos is that anyone can make them, and make them look good.
Children can help you to decorate them, but they won’t look like children have decorated them, if you know what I mean (sorry kids, I know some of you are mighty talented and could make these look as good or better than any adult could!).
This is how it’s done in 5 EASY STEPS
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place a wire rack on top.
- Melt chocolate in a jug in the microwave in 30-second bursts.
- Dip Oreos. Place them on the wire rack.
- Decorate to your heart’s content! Let set in a cool place or the fridge!
More easy chocolate food gift ideas
- These addictive peanut butter cheerio bars make a great gift. Make them with your kids, then package them up in a nice box.
- I love these super easy chocolate lollipops. Another easy one to make with the kids!
- I call these the easiest chocolate biscuits ever, or… chocolate pretzels!
- This list of 11 easy homemade chocolate ideas has some great ideas, too, especially for Christmas!
- If you’ve never made chocolate bark, you have to try it. It’s ridiculously easy!
- All the above too much effort? Make chocolate rocks! All you need is chocolate and nuts. Dried fruit optional!
Equipment (affiliate links)
Ingredients (UK/Australia? Click below for grams/ml)
- 7 ounces chocolate milk, dark, white, or a mixture
- 20 Oreos in the UK there are about 12 or 13 in each package
- decorations of your choice e.g. sprinkles chocolate curls, mini eggs, Maltesers, crushed honeycomb
- Place a wire rack on a tray lined with baking paper (see video above!).
- Break the chocolate up into a microwave-safe jug, and melt in the microwave in 30-second bursts.*
- Dip the Oreos into the chocolate one by one, touching lightly on the side of the jug afterwards to allow any excess chocolate to drip off. Place them onto the wire rack, then immediately add your decorations.
- Allow the chocolate to set, then store in an air-tight container.