Last Updated on
It doesn’t get more delicious than this – an artichoke and bacon grilled cheese! I bet bacon and cheese always gets your attention but add artichokes into the mix and you’ll be in grilled cheese heaven!
Have you tried artichokes with bacon yet?
Let’s be honest here. An artichoke and bacon grilled cheese sandwich is not something I’ve ever craved, or eaten, or even thought of before now.
A bacon grilled cheese – now that’s another matter. We all know that anything with loads of bacon and cheese in it = perfect for stuffing in your mouth any time of day.
But a few months ago I ordered a brunch in a café that included the artichoke and bacon combo. It wasn’t an artichoke and bacon grilled cheese but at that moment I just knew that like peanut butter and jelly and burger and fries, artichokes and bacon are a winning flavour combination.
This artichoke and bacon grilled cheese makes a fabulous weekend brunch. Or late night snack. Or lazy slob-out-on-the-couch-with-Netflix dinner.
How do I make an artichoke and bacon grilled cheese sandwich?
In true Scrummy Lane style we don’t go to much effort to make this grilled cheese. No cooking of the artichokes required. I simply buy a jar of marinated sliced artichokes (Aldi is great for that sort of thing).
So here’s how I make my sandwich in 4 simple steps:
- Whether you want to make your sandwich using a simple grill / skillet or a sandwich press, you can use it first to cook your bacon. This way you get the flavour of the bacon smooshing (is that a word?) into your bread as it cooks.
- Either butter the outside of your bread or drizzle it with olive oil (I prefer the second option for a more authentic Mediterranean flavour).
- Turn the bread over (buttered side down) and begin making your sandwich. If you like, begin with a thin layer of onion relish / jam / jelly or another ‘extra’ flavour. See below for more ideas! Then layer: cheese, artichokes, bacon, more cheese.
- Top with the second slice of bread – buttered side up – and grill.
There are several little changes you could make to this idea for a (possibly) even yummier artichoke and bacon grilled cheese.
Before adding the first cheese slice, spread the bread with a thin layer of:
- onion jam / jelly / relish / chutney – I’ve tried this and it’s so delicious. That tiny hint of sweetness just works with the other (more salty) flavours
- any kind of eggplant spread or dip – it’s the smokiness. Yum.
- corn relish
- a tiny sprinkle of blue cheese
I’m sure you can think of even more ideas to turn your artichoke and bacon grilled cheese from good to gourmet delicious!
This artichoke and bacon grilled cheese makes the most delicious weekend brunch imaginable. Artichokes and bacon should be best friends forever. You’ve got to try this sandwich – you’ll never look back!
I use a Breville Panini Press like this to make this artichoke and bacon and grilled cheese. I’ve used it SO much. It’s perfect for weekend brunches or evening snacks (affiliate link).
Artichoke and bacon grilled cheese
Ingredients (UK/Australia? Click button below for grams & ml)
- Pre-heat a sandwich press or grill / frying pan.
- Cook the bacon for 5 to 10 minutes or until starting to crisp (either on the sandwich press or grill / frying pan you're going to use to cook your sandwich).
- Drizzle the olive oil over the bread and spread a little with a knife (alternatively, spread with butter).
- Turn the slices of bread over so the olive oiled side is facing down, then spread with a little onion relish (if using, but highly recommended!).
- Top with 1 slice of cheese, the bacon, artichokes, and finally another slice of cheese.
- Top with the other 2 slices of bread (oiled side up) and cook until the cheese has melted and the top of the sandwich is nicely browned.