Bacon-wrapped turkey burgers with gruyère
Deliciously moist and flavoursome turkey burgers wrapped in bacon and topped with melted gruyère cheese. Served in a burger bun with mayo, lettuce and tomatoes = pretty much a perfect burger!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 5 -6
For the burger patties
- 17-18 ounces minced turkey meat
- breadcrumbs I used 1 slice of wholemeal bread whizzed up in a mini food processor
- zest of 1 lemon
- small bunch of scallions/spring onions finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt & pepper
- 1 egg lightly whisked
- bacon rashers 1 for each burger
- 1 thick slice of gruyère cheese for each burger or tasty cheese of your choice
- wholemeal burger buns or buns of your choice
- sliced tomato lettuce/green salad leaves & mayonnaise
- chunky chips I used the recipe in this post
Combine all of the burger ingredients well (either with your hands or with a wooden spoon) except the bacon, then cover and chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
Shape the burgers into patties (about 1 inch thick), then wrap a rasher of bacon around each.
Heat up a skillet/frying pan or grill pan (medium heat), then fry the patties for 5 or 6 minutes on each side (or until cooked through - check by slicing part of the way into one burger).
Place a slice of the cheese on top of each patty, then place under the grill (UK)/broil (US) until melted. At the same time, lightly toast your burger buns in the toaster, then assemble your burgers. Start with a good squirt of mayonnaise on the bottom half of the buns followed by tomato, green leaves and finally your burger patty with the melted cheese on it. Top with the other half of the buns and enjoy!
Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 335mg | Potassium: 217mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 170IU | Vitamin C: 1.1mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1.4mg