Skinny chicken & leek patchwork pie
We all love pie, but it doesn't always make for the healthiest of meals. But you can enjoy this skinny chicken & leek patchwork pie without any guilt. It's tasty and comforting and yet light and easy to make.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- a little olive oil for cooking
- 17.6 ounces leeks chopped and washed thoroughly (I used 3 leeks)
- 14 ounces chicken breast chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup skimmed or semi-skimmed milk plus a little extra
- 4 tablespoons corn flour
- 10.5 ounces frozen peas
- 10.5 ounces frozen broccoli cut into smallish pieces
- 1 tablespoon low fat soft cheese (could be the kind with garlic & herbs, if you like)
- a good sprinkle of mixed herbs
- salt & pepper
- 5.6 ounces ready rolled puff pastry I used 1/2 of a 320 gram/11-ounce pack
Preheat the oven to 200C/390F. Heat a splash of olive oil in a large saucepan, then soften the leeks and cook the chicken for about 5 minutes.
Add the stock and milk to the pan and leave to simmer for 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Mix the corn flour with a little water, milk or stock and add to the pan slowly. Let the mixture cook and thicken for a couple of minutes. (see note below)
Stir in the peas, broccoli, soft cheese, herbs, and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper, then tip the mixture into a large pie dish or baking dish.
Cut the pastry sheet into 12 equal squares, then scatter them all over the pie filling. They should overlap in places but not cover the whole pie. Brush lightly with milk and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the crust is golden.
Recipe slightly adapted from this recipe by Waitrose.
Try not to overlap the pastry squares too much (like I did!) If you do, the pastry that's on the bottom layer won't cook so well.
You can use ‘sauce thickening flour’ instead of corn flour if you can find it where you are (use 2 tablespoons only though).
Calories: 587kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 393mg | Potassium: 1178mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 3250IU | Vitamin C: 112.3mg | Calcium: 210mg | Iron: 5.8mg