Eton Mess fridge cake
A delicious white chocolate fridge cake with all the flavours of the classic English dessert Eton Mess. Just mix crushed biscuits with butter, syrup and dried red fruit, squash into a baking pan, smother with melted white chocolate and sprinkle with more meringue and dried fruit. Just gorgeous!
- 9 ounces digestive biscuits see note 1 below
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick + 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup see note 2 below
- 1 ounce pre-packaged meringue I used 2 ‘nests’ – see note 3 below plus extra for the topping (about 1 ‘nest’)
- 7 ounces dried red fruit chopped if necessary (e.g. raspberries, cranberries, blueberries, strawberries)
- 14 ounces white chocolate
Line a baking tin (mine was roughly 30 x 23cm) with baking paper and set aside.
Tip the biscuits into a freezer bag and crush them into smallish pieces using a rolling pin. Pour into a large bowl.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the Golden Syrup. Set aside to cool a little.
Add about half of the dried fruit and the two crumbled meringue nests to the biscuits in the bowl and mix well. Then pour in the butter and syrup mixture and stir until all the mixture is coated.
Press the mixture into the baking tin.
Break the chocolate into a bowl, then microwave in 30-second bursts to melt (3 x 30-second bursts worked for me, then I stirred the chocolate well to finish off melting it). Spread over the biscuit cake, then sprinkle the rest of the dried fruit and the remaining crumbled meringue over the top. Leave to set completely in the fridge.
Cut into smallish squares and enjoy!
1. If you can’t find Digestive biscuits (UK), Graham crackers or another hard crumbly cookie is fine.
2. Similarly, if you can’t find Golden Syrup, you can use honey or maple syrup instead.
3. Pre-packaged meringue is sold in little ‘nests’ where I live. If you can’t buy these in your country, any type of meringue is fine – just so long as you use about 25 grams and a bit extra for sprinkling!
Calories: 245kcalCarbohydrates: 31gProtein: 2gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 89mgPotassium: 79mgSugar: 25gVitamin A: 165IUVitamin C: 0.1mgCalcium: 46mgIron: 0.5mg