Crispy halloumi salad with roasted tomatoes, avocado and corn
A simple salad with roasted tomatoes and corn, avocado, and basil - all topped with and addictively crispy halloumi cheese and a drizzle of honey mustard dressing. Lovely eaten by itself or with crusty bread and a protein of your choice.
For the salad
- 9 ounces cherry tomatoes (in Australia and the UK, this is about 1 punnet or container of tomatoes)
- ⅔ cup cooked corn (corn shaved off 1 cooked corn on the cob will be fine, or use cooked corn from a can - see notes below for cooking options)
- ⅔ cucumber cubed
- 1 avocado cubed (try to use one that's perfectly ripe - not too hard, not too mushy)
- ½ small onion finely chopped
- 1 large handful fresh basil
For the halloumi bites
- 9 ounces halloumi cheese 1 'log', chopped into cubes (about 1 - 2cm)
- 2 tablespoons flour (approximately)
- oil for cooking (about ½ inch in a medium saucepan - I usually use olive oil but any oil is fine)
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar (or your favourite vinegar)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 355F, then roast the tomatoes and corn on a baking tray for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan, then add the halloumi cubes. Let cook for two or three minutes without moving, then toss and let cook for a minute or two longer. Repeat until the cheese is well browned and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper.
When cooked, tip the tomatoes and corn onto a large plate or platter, then add the cucumber, avocado and onion. Stir through the basil, then scatter the crispy halloumi over the top.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender. Serve the warm salad immediately, with the dressing on the side.
How to cook the corn
If you like, you can use fresh corn. Grill it, then shave it off and into the salad.
You can roast it for 35 to 40 minutes in the oven at 205C/400F. Or you can simply boil it for 10 minutes.
You don’t have to roast the tomatoes and corn if you don’t want to. If you decide not to, simply chop the tomatoes in half.
Feel free to use a different kind of cheese in this salad e.g. mozzarella, feta, goat cheese – you could still try cooking it!
How to serve
Serve this salad by itself (halloumi is quite ‘meaty’!), or with crusty bread and a protein of your choice e.g. salmon, chicken, sausages, burgers.
Feeling cheeky? You can even skip the rest of the salad and just make the crispy halloumi bites! Serve immediately with sweet chili sauce and Greek yoghurt or sour cream! ;-)
Calories: 372kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 3gFat: 32gSaturated Fat: 4gSodium: 52mgPotassium: 433mgFiber: 5gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 240IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 16mgIron: 0.7mg