One pan Greek couscous with halloumi
Delicious roasted vegetables with a Greek twist. Add couscous to the dish, and top with crispy halloumi cheese. This can be either a main meal in itself, or a tasty side to meat or fish.
for the Greek couscous
- 3 bell peppers (peppers (UK), capsicum (Aus)) green, red, yellow, or a mixture!, chopped into medium pieces
- 1 zucchini / courgette, sliced
- 1 red onion large, chopped into chunks
- 7 ounces tomatoes (I used baby tomatoes)
- 3.5 ounces Kalamata olives pitted
- 5 ounces couscous (dried - I used just under a cup)
- 1.5 teaspoons oregano dried
- 8.5 fluid ounces broth chicken or vegetable (1 cup)
to add at the end
- 9 ounces halloumi cheese (1 'log' = 250 grams in the UK) replace with feta cheese if you don’t want to use halloumi
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- Greek yoghurt or tzatziki and lemon wedges to serve
Preheat the oven to 355F / 180C.
Put the peppers, zucchini, and onion in a large roasting dish, drizzle with a little olive oil and roast for 20 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and olives and roast for another 10 minutes.
Scatter the couscous and oregano over the dish, and pour over the water or stock. Cover tightly with aluminium foil and bake for 10 minutes more.
Meanwhile, slice the halloumi cheese into roughly 1 – 2 cm slices, then cook in a dry frying or griddle pan for a few minutes on each side until browned and crispy.
Remove the couscous and vegetables from the oven and fluff up with a fork. Combine the olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice and stir through the dish.
Serve topped with the halloumi cheese and big dollops of Greek yoghurt or tzatziki.
You can vary the veggies you use in this dish. I find sweet potato works particularly well, as do mushrooms (add at the same time as the tomatoes and olives).
This dish is nice served by itself, but I served it with some baked salmon on the side – even tastier! But actually any kind of grilled fish or meat would go well.
Calories: 494kcalCarbohydrates: 41gProtein: 21gFat: 27gSaturated Fat: 12gSodium: 1418mgPotassium: 552mgFiber: 6gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 3550IUVitamin C: 131.6mgCalcium: 697mgIron: 1.5mg